21 Things I Have Learned About Life So Far

"You are not your age, nor the size of the clothes you wear, you are not a weight, or the color of your hair, you are not your name, or the dimples in your cheeks, You are all the books you read, all the words you speak, you are your croaky morning voice, and the smiles you try to hide, you’re the sweetness in your laughter, and every tear you’ve cried, You’re the songs you sing so loudly, when you know you’re all alone, You’re the places that you’ve been to, And the one that you call home, you’re the things that you believe in, and the people that you love, you’re the photos in your bedroom, and the future you dream of, you’re made of so much beauty, but it seems that you forgot, when you decided that you were defined, by all of the things that you’re not." 
— E.H.


1. Find Your Passion
From the time I was a little girl, I LOVED weddings, I guess finding my passion came easily and naturally, but I can't imagine life without it. I can't imagine not having weddings in my life. I love the way I can't shut up when people ask me about it and I love that it keeps me up in bed some nights while ideas are making my mind race. Find what you're passionate about it make a life out of it. It's addicting and rewarding. Fewer things will bring you more happiness than that of your passion.

2. Life is Short
Realize that no ones time on this earth is infinite. Cherish every moment you have with your loved ones. Respect them. Care for them. Thank them. Do something nice for them. And most importantly, always make sure they know how much you love them.

3. Do What Makes You Happy.
Those who love you will be supportive no matter how unconventional it may be. But your happiness should come first.

4. Take Care of Yourself and Love Yourself
It's easy to get caught up with life and let yourself go. It's easy to work too much. Be out too much. Let responsibilities take over. But, never forget to take care of yourself. Moisturize your skin, take care of your hair, workout, eat healthy, eat brownies,  light a candle, watch a movie, put your phone on silent for a while.

Love yourself

5. Work Hard...
Unless you're born into a very generous and wealthy family, chances are, you're going to have to work hard for what you want. And there's nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with late nights and early mornings when you're chasing your dreams. But, never - ever expect things to just come to you. Stay disciplined and focused on your goals. Work tirelessly when you have to. Get little sleep when you have to. Work 7 days a week when you have to.

BUT, TEND TO YOUR RELATIONSHIPS FIRST...
I opened my business. It's amazing. And incredibly tiring. I work a day job, and then come home and work all night until I fell asleep, everyday. It's something I never could've prepared myself for, I just knew I had to hustle and deliver. But, it's draining, and you miss stuff, I worked a wedding on my boyfriend's birthday and I haven't forgiven myself for it yet, it's a process. Relationships come first, work comes second. Owning a business is no easy task, especially a very successful one. But, it's important to keep in mind that relationships whether it's your marriage or your family, DO come FAR before work. So take a night off, cook some dinner for your husband and then binge watch Netflix together. Work can wait.

6. Be Respectful.
This is one of the most important things I've learned. It's amazing how a little respect can get you EXTREMELY far. Respect your elders. Respect those younger than you. Respect your parents. Respect your friends. Respect your teachers. Respect your siblings. And respect yourself. The one thing that does embarrass me about being my age is that I'm associated with a generation of kids who want respect, but don't give it and although it's certainly not true for all of us, I witness it first hand. If you want to be treated like an adult and you want respect from anyone at all, GIVE IT. But don't let receiving respect be your motivation to give it. Give it because as a human being, it's your job. Especially as a young adult.

7. Follow Your Dreams 
Cliche, right? Kind of. But, I mean this. I see SO MANY people my age do what their parents think they should do. Or do what other people think they should do, but not what THEY want to do. You don't HAVE to go to college. You don't HAVE to play that sport. You don't HAVE to go into that career field. You don't HAVE to stay in your hometown. If packing your things and moving to the beach and working as a waitress to pay your bills and figuring out a way to make your biggest, most genuine dreams come true is what you want to do - then dammit, GO DO IT! Prove them wrong. Prove to them you know what you want and you're out to get it even if you're doing it differently than they planned for you. It's your life and your decision and you can't live it for anyone but YOURSELF.

8. Take a Bubble Bath and a Few Deep Breaths
When I'm stressed, I take a bubble bath. Even when I'm not, I still do it at least once a week. To relax. I light a candle, turn on the tub, put on Pandora, and chill. Something so simple can take away so much stress.  Do it. It works.

9. Judge Less
The thing I've learned the most is, the people you may be the quickest to judge are actually some of the coolest people you'll ever meet in your life.  I feel like it's very easy to be judgmental. When someone does something differently than you do, it's easy to think their way is wrong. When they dress differently, it's easy to think they're weird. When they have different goals, it's easy to think it's not the right path. The the truth is, there's no right way or one way to do anything. Rather than judge them, encourage them to be the best they can be even if their journey to get there is far different from yours.

10. Get Rid of the Negativity Around You
You know those Facebook friends (or even real life "friends") who constantly post negative crap or stupid drama? The people who tend to over-share unnecessary and usually negative things? The news channels? Delete them. You will notice your daily mood changed when you log into Facebook and see more positivity rather than negative news stories. Social media has such a huge impact on our generation and you CAN in fact control whether it is a positive or negative impact - and with just a few clicks, I took my newsfeed from negative and rather annoying to positive and something I want to interact with.

11. It is more than okay to love and celebrate yourself - to be proud of who you are.
I'm one of those people who feel extremely awkward celebrating myself or being openly proud of myself or things I've accomplished. I feel pretty self-centered among other things flaunting myself. But, I'm working on it. Why? Because it is MORE THAN OKAY to love yourself and be proud of who you are and what you've done. In fact, it should be encouraged and praised. Did you do your hair and makeup and you're feelin gorgeous? Post that selfie. Did you just get new business cards for the business you're working on? Give them out to everyone you see. Making progress in the gym? Post those progress pictures and share your journey...you're bound to inspire someone. Did you just sign the lease on your first apartment or buy your first new car? FLAUNT IT. Be proud. You should be. You're doing things to better yourself and your life and you're feeling great...and what's better than that? Nothing. It is OKAY to be proud of you. Just remain a humble human being overall.

12. Stay ambitious, but love where you're at now.
I'm very much the type of person who when I accomplish one goal, I don't even get excited I'm just onto the next one, but I'm constantly reminding myself that where i'm at right now is very nice and I need to enjoy it because someday I'll miss it. It is all a journey and we should cherish every moment because after all, it is shaping the rest of your life.

13. It's Okay to Lose Yourself
It happens. Sometimes you question everything. Am I doing the right thing? Am I happy? What do I want? How do I get to where I want to be? If I've learned anything in these few years in the "real world" it's that you're probably going to lose yourself a time or two or ten throughout life. And it's really hard to find yourself. In fact, it might take your whole life to figure out exactly who you are...if you ever do. But as long as you don't give up on yourself, it's okay to get lost. Eventually, something will happen that helps you find another piece of the puzzle to finding yourself again.

14. Be There for People and Encourage Those Around You
Few things make me happier than encouraging people and being there for them. It brings me so much joy. I love seeing people post "Just signed the lease for my first apartment!!!" Or share a photo of their new car, or that they "got the job!" or got engaged to the love of their life.  I love leaving a comment that let's them know I'm proud of them, even if we don't talk. And I mean every word I say. A little word of encouragement can mean so much to someone. Be There For People - Like when someone posts on Facebook they need a ride to work, again, even if it's just someone I went to school with years ago...if I'm available, I'll message them and say hey I can give you a ride. Why not? If you're doing something to better yourself and I can be apart of helping you? Absolutely.

15. Laugh Until You Cry
This doesn't need an explanation. Surround yourself with amazing people, let loose, and laugh until your cheeks hurt and your eyes water.

16. Let Yourself LEARN
Everyone who walks into your life knows something that you don't. Learn something from every person that you meet. Let them teach you. I truly believe that people are in your life for a reason.

17. Life is NOT A Race
Don't compare yourself to anyone. Everyone goes at their pace and life isn’t a race to the finish line.

18. Love is MAGIC
Think about it: When has love ever made things worse? Any solution has love underlying it.

19. Life isn't Fair
It just isn’t. Better to accept it now and see how you’ll overcome those barriers, rather than whining about how life’s not fair and use it as an excuse to do nothing.

20. If You Have a Once in a Lifetime Chance to do Something – do it. 

21. TRUST YOUR JOURNEY
This is hands down the MOST important thing I've learned. For everything I remember that there is a reason I'm going through this. Trust.

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM

Back to top